button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
place:- ring of bells, Irton
site name:- St Paul's Church
locality:- Irton
parish Irton with Santon parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
ring of bells
coordinates:- NY09140048
10Km square:- NY00

1Km square NY0900

photograph

ring of bells, Irton -- St Paul's Church -- Irton -- Irton with Santon -- Cumbria / -- Bell ropes. -- 13.7.2010
photograph

ring of bells, Irton -- St Paul's Church -- Irton -- Irton with Santon -- Cumbria / -- A kneeler. -- 13.7.2010

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Irton
coordinates:- NY091005

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large ring of bells, Irton -- St Paul's Church -- Irton -- Irton with Santon -- Cumbria / -- Chiming frame, John Warner and Sons.. -- 4.6.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large ring of bells, Irton -- St Paul's Church -- Irton -- Irton with Santon -- Cumbria / -- 'JOHN WARNER & SONS / BELL FOUNDERS / TO HER MAJESTY / CRIPPLEGATE LONDON' -- 4.6.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large ring of bells, Irton -- St Paul's Church -- Irton -- Irton with Santon -- Cumbria / -- ''Stedman Doubles' -- 13.7.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large ring of bells, Irton -- St Paul's Church -- Irton -- Irton with Santon -- Cumbria / -- 4.6.2013
tiny photograph, 
button to large ring of bells, Irton -- St Paul's Church -- Irton -- Irton with Santon -- Cumbria / -- Access to the tower (ringing chamber is on ground floor in church) -- 13.7.2010

photocopy Parker 1901:-
series 2 vol.2 p.103

image t2002103.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.103

image t2002103.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.104

image t2002104.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.105

image t2002105.jpg
Parker, Charles A: 1901: Bells at Gosforth, Irton, and Waberthwaite: TransCWAAS: series 2 vol.2: pp.99-107; and plates

Dove data number of bells: 8
weight of tenor: 16 cwt 1 qtr 25 lb (1845lbs)
pitch of tenor: E (663Hz)
scale:-
E, F sharp, G sharp, A, B, C sharp, D sharp, E
Complete octave; intervals TTSTTTS; E major.
Bells cast by John Warner and Sons, 1887.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

notes In 1552 there were 'ii porch belles'; replaced by two new bells, 1715, commemorating the Battle of Preston; 1887 one cracked bell was broken up and the other, the 'Pretender Bell' was hung in Irton Hall as a clock bell; inscribed:-
[IMPOSTER FUGATUS AN GEORGE II REGIS SECo ANNO DOM 1715]
The new ring of 8 was the gift of Sir Thomas Brocklebank in memory of his wife Ann. The wood bell frame was unsteady, knocking the tower wall during ringing. A steel brace was added to the bell frame by Albert Preston, blacksmith, 1984.
:: Saint Paul's Church and the Ancient Cross::: leaflet available in church

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University