button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
www.dove.cccbr.org.uk
place:- ring of bells, Kirkby Ireleth
site name:- St Cuthbert's Church
locality:- Kirkby-in-Furness
parish Kirkby Ireleth parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
ring of bells
coordinates:- SD23398218
10Km square:- SD28

1Km square SD2382

source:- Dove 2009

diocese:- Carlisle Diocese
locality:- Kirkby Ireleth
coordinates:- SD234822

photocopy Harper 1901:-
series 2 vol.2 p.286

image t2002286.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.287

image t2002287.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.288

image t2002288.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.289

image t2002289.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.290

image t2002290.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.291

image t2002291.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.292

image t2002292.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.293

image t2002293.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.294

image t2002294.jpg
series 2 vol.2 p.295

image t2002295.jpg
Gaythorpe, Harper: 1901: Church Bells in the Archdeaconry of Furness; Colton, Kirkby Ireleth, Broughton, Woodland, and Seathwaite: TransCWAAS: series 2 vol.2: pp.282-306

Dove data number of bells: 8
weight of tenor: 7 cwt 1 qtr 10 lb (822lbs)
pitch of tenor: A flat (844Hz)
scale:-
A flat, B flat, C, D flat, E flat, F, G, A flat
Complete octave; intervals TTSTTTS; A flat major.
Bells 1 and 2 cast by John Taylor Bellfounders, 2000; 3 and 7 by John Taylor and Co, 1908; 3-5 and 8 by William Dobson, 1831.
Dove 2009
Data courtesy of the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers

references Handley, Diana: 1983: Notes on Furness Branch Bells::: inscriptions and history

notes The church tower fell down while the three bells were being rung for morning service, 1687. One of the broken bells was sold to the church at Dalton-in-Furness. The other broken bell was recast and hung with the unbroken bell in a temporary bell house. SUMMARY One of the bells is mentioned in the North Lonsdale Magazine:-
... appears to have remained in the churchyard as a worthless object for some time, no one caring to devote any attention to it, until at last it disappeared, and all traces of its existence and connection with the old edifice were forgotten. In the year 1851 when an exhibition of objects of interest was opened in Ulverston, amongst other relics and curiosities belonging to the district, appeared an inscription in antique characters, almost resembling Anglo-Saxon runes, purporting to be copied from a bell in Kirkby Ireleth Church. The list of exhibitors has unfortunately been lost, and the name of the individual who forwarded this highly interesting and valuable contribution is unknown. All the information that can be gathered with reference to the bell is that it is supposed to have been sent to the works at Downham, in Suffolk, in part payment of the new bells supplied from that foundry.
The inscription is said to be:-
[HOC SANCTA MARIAH ORA PRO NOBIS]
A new peal of five bells was cast by William Dobson, Loughborough, 1831, to be hung in the new tower, built 1829. This was described as a:-
... most peculiar succession of notes, considering that they were all cast at one time, ...
These were bells 3, 4, 5, 6, 8? The treble was recast and a new bell added to make a ring of 6, 1908, bells 3 and 7; two more bells, 1 and 2, were added in 2000.
The new treble inscribed:-
HOC SANCTA MARIAH ORA PRO NOBIS
Bell 2 inscribed:-
CAST TO CELEBRATE THE END OF THE SECOND MILLENNIUM
Murfet, Maureen: : History of St Cuthbert's Church Kirkby in Furness::: leaflet available in church
: 1867: North Lonsdale Magazine: vol.1: p.14

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University