button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Ravenstonedale Priory
site name:- St Oswald's Church
locality:- Ravenstonedale
parish Ravenstonedale parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
religious house; priory
coordinates:- NY72220428
10Km square:- NY70

1Km square NY7204

photograph

Ravenstonedale Priory -- St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Ruins of the chapter house. -- 12.8.2013
photograph

Ravenstonedale Priory -- St Oswald's Church -- Ravenstonedale -- Ravenstonedale -- Cumbria / -- Ruins of the chapter house. -- 9.6.2007

map:- see:- : 1954: Monastic Britain: Ordnance Survey

canons
person:- : Gilbertine Order

hearsay The religious house was probably built about 1200; the order founded by Gilbert of Sempringham, Lincolnshire, 1131. Very little more was built than is evidenced by the ruins.

references Irwin, Christopher R & Irwin, Mary: 2002: Gilbertines and Ravenstonedale: Book House (Ravenstonedale, Cumbria)
Robertson, Dawn & Koronka, Peter: 1992: Secrets and Legends of Old Westmorland: Pagan Press (Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria) & Cumbria CC (library service)

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2014
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University