button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Skelwith Bridge to Ravenglass
other name:- Ravenglass to Skelwith Bridge
parish Skelwith parish, once in Lancashire
parish Dunnerdale-with-Seathwaite parish, once in Lancashire
parish Ulpha parish, once in Cumberland
parish Eskdale parish, once in Cumberland
parish Muncaster parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
10Km square:- NY30
10Km square:- NY20
10Km square:- NY10
10Km square:- SD19
road code:- SkBr=Rvng

source:- Martineau 1855

Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-71.
Page 115:-
... to Fellfoot, and the old road from Kendal to Whitehaven, which was the only route before carriers' carts found their way into the region. Fellfoot was the house of entertainment whence the pack-horse cavalcade began the ascent, or where they stopped to congratulate themselves on having accomplished the descent. ... ... The ascent of Wrynose from this point is long and rather steep: but the views behind become grander with every step. ...
date:- 1855
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 37:-
... Further on to the left is Fell Foot, an ancient inn, on the Old Bell road which led from Kendal to Whitehaven over Hard Knot and Wry Nose.

placename:- Old Bell Road
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P103, button   goto source.
... The road ... After passing Little Langdale Tarn, the ancient pack horse road, from Kendal to Whitehaven over Wrynose, takes the left hand; ...
image OT01P107, button   goto source.
Page 107:-
This tour may be made on horseback, or with some little difficulty in a cart; taking the road to Little Langdale as before described, and following the old pack-horse road over Wrynose and Hardknot, both of which hills are very steep. Near the road on Wrynose are the three shire stones of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire. From Westmorland we here pass into Lancashire; and crossing the head of the Duddon at Cockley-beck, we enter into Cumberland. From the top of
image OT01P108, button   goto source.
Page 108:-
Hardknot there is a view of the sea, and the Isle of Man in the horizon; and half way down the hill on the right, are the ruins of a place called Hardknot Castle, described in a former page; but having been built without mortar, or cement, scarcely any part of the walls are left standing.
The small river Esk winds along a narrow valley, among verdant fields, surmounted by rugged rocks, and about a mile and a half down the valley is a public-house, formerly the sign of the Wool Pack, about 15 miles from Ambleside. On the left hand, in travelling down the valley, there are two remarkable cascades. The first is seen from the road; but the other, which lies beyond the chapel, requires a walk of more than half a mile to view it. From the hamlet of Bout, a dim tract leads over Burnmoor to Wasdale head; but the road should be kept, nearly to Santon Bridge, when it turns off to the right, to the Strands at Nether Wasdale; where there are two public-houses. After seeing Wast Water, parties on horseback may either go over Styhead and through Borrowdale to Keswick; or by Gosforth to Calder Bridge, from thence by Ennerdale Bridge, and Lamplugh, to Scale Hill, and thence by either Buttermere or Lorton, to Keswick; and with a cart it will be necessary to take the latter route. Sometimes this excursion has been varied, by returning from Wasdale, by Ulpha, to Broughton, and thence by Coniston to Ambleside.
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5NY20SE, button to large image
From White Haven
thumbnail J5NY30SW, button to large image
thumbnail J5NY30SE, button to large image
double line; road, with mile numbers
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old road map:- Rumney 1899

Guide book, The Cyclist's Guide to the English Lake District, by A W Rumney, published by George Philip and Son, 32 Fleet Street, London, and Liverpool, 1899.
thumbnail RUM130, button to large image
Road map, strip map, gradient diagram, and itinerary for Route XIX, Seascale to Eskdale, Cumberland, scale about 2 miles to 1 inch, by A W Rumney, published by George Philip and Son, 32 Fleet Street, London, and Liverpool, 1899.
On p.80 of the Cyclist's Guide to the English Lake District, by A W Rumney.
printed at top:-
Route XIX.
date:- 1899
period:- 19th century, late

mapping:- Skelwith Bridge, Skelwith
Little Langdale, Lakes
Fell Foot, Lakes
Wrynose Pass, Ulpha
Cockley Beck, Dunnerdale-with-Seathwaite
Hardknott Pass, Eskdale
Eskdale Green, Eskdale
Ravenglass, Muncaster

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.

©  Martin and Jean Norgate: 2013
mailto button  email:- JandMN@norgate.freeserve.co.uk
button, online connection  Other projects

button, online connection  Geography Department, Portsmouth University